Assessment and Statutory Testing
Different forms of assessment
There are 3 main forms of assessment in schools:
- day-to-day formative assessment – to inform teaching on an ongoing basis
- in-school summative assessment – to understand pupil performance at the end of a period of teaching. At Welton we use PIRA and PUMA tests to contribute to teacher assessment summative judgments.
- statutory summative assessment – to understand pupil performance in relation to national expectations and comparisons
The statutory EYFS framework requires the EYFS profile assessment to be carried out in the final term of the year in which a child reaches age 5, and no later than 30 June in that term.
Practitioners are expected to use their professional judgement to make these assessments, based on their knowledge and understanding of what the child knows, understands, and can do.
Summative: assessment is based on a holistic view of what the child can demonstrate against each Early Learning Goals at the end of the reception year
Key stage 1 assessments
All existing statutory KS1 assessments will return in 2021/22, following their usual timetable.
This includes the:
- end of KS1 assessments
- phonics screening
Teachers must make their TA judgements using the:
- TA frameworks in English reading, English writing, mathematics and science – for pupils who have completed the KS1 programmes of study and are working at the standard of national curriculum assessments
Teachers must administer the English reading and mathematics tests to help make a secure judgement for their final TA at the end of KS1. The tests make up one piece of evidence for the overall TA judgement.
The following link will provide a short guide to the National Curriculum Assessments
Key Stage 1 https://youtu.be/cuXJidYP7-0
Key Stage 2 assessments
All existing statutory KS2 assessments will return in 2021/22, following their usual timetable. This includes:
- the end of KS2 assessments (including tests and teacher assessment) •
- the year 4 multiplication tables check
The following links will provide a short guide to the National Curriculum Assessments
Year 4 Multiplication Check https://youtu.be/GhAJMJUsAac
Key Stage 2 https://youtu.be/dIbCj1QoElE